Lest We Forget

Joe Sacco The Great War Book coverTitle: Painted Grey

I miss my family and I’m scared I’m never going to see them again if I become lifeless in this horrible battle. I already have a gash on my arm and I cut my lip from stubbing in the woods. The flavor of blood filled my mouth as all my muscle started to ache while I lied hopelessly on the brown forest floor.  My heart was beating so fast I thought it would explode. The sky was painted gray as bombs and planes flew everywhere in the sky. I finally manage to pick myself up and marched exhaustedly back to camp.

I don’t know if I could see anymore of this frightful combat go on. Earlier this evening I saw men lying on the ground screeching for help in misery, they have really traumatized me. I don’t talk to my allies anymore because I don’t want them to see that I’m shaky from seeing those bloodless figures.

Nathan Roberts

July 6

There are terrible rats everywhere in my trench, they eat my food and bite through my clothing. They are not like the rats at home; they carry diseases and make my trench dreadful to live in. Some night I feel poorly and hot, I sometimes feel like I may not be able to stay up right again. They also make the whole trench smell nauseating. Before I rest for a bit the stench from their aroma makes me feel queasy. At least we have a watchdog that kills rats. The dog is rather tranquil and when I touch his silky and luxurious fur all my misery goes away. This dog is a big help to keep me alive, he brings me bandages and medical supplies.

I’m not staying in the trenches for a long time because I have to get back to giving supplies to men. I had to stay in these trenches for quite a while because it is too dangerous for me to go back in the battle field with cannons shutting and bombs exploding. They make fear build up inside of me.

Nathan Roberts

July 7

The sound of the cannons shutting is very loud and sometimes I even go deaf. Every now and then, when I’m running, my cut starts to burn.  I yell and everything goes black.  When I see again I’m always carried by a tuff and muscular soldier.

Nathan Roberts

July 8

Sometimes before I sleep I remember going in fancy stores with my family and playing outside with my friends, which dearly worms my heart. Now it seems that there are no days without hearing “Booms” and “Bangs”.

I would thank my parents if I could for the wonderful cake and chocolates. They make my spirit a little brighter and put a bit of color in my dull life. I’m hoping that this war will stop because I don’t think I could get hurt anymore without dying. My life is in horrible danger and I don’t want to take risks any more, but I don’t have a choice. Sadly the war must go on.

Nathan Roberts

July 9

I have been to the infirmary because my gash has gotten infected and a bunch of blood is coming out of my arm. Whenever I move my arm I’m suffering and dreadful hollers come out of me. I only realized that I really needed to come when one night I collapse on the rocky ground for no reason and I started to lose my memory. The nursery is a nice quiet space, with friendly nurses.  The nurse that was taking care of me was a young woman about twenty-four years of age. She was taking care of quite a lot of men, I’m guessing around thirty. I did get a bit more food. The meat was a little raw and the bread was stale but it was better than the food I had before.  When I was at the nursery I noticed men with their eyes wide open all the time. Some men had bullets in their arms, legs and even heads.

I`m now back at my post as a man who delivers food. I really don`t sleep comfortably at night. I sleep on the side of a building, which was where slept the men with the same job as me comfortably before the building got bombed.

Nathan Roberts

July 18

Today , it seemed that there where big fluffy white clouds in the sky , which brought a little grin onto my face.

While I went to give food, another one of my pales was doing the same thing but was going and giving food to different men. While we we`re in the field a bomb hit my friend. The explosion made the wood from his wagon fly straight up into the gloomy sky. His legs where badly bruised and blood was all over  his brown uniform, who now looked like it had been drenched in blood.  He was lying on the ground, looking powerless, shouting my name and begging for me to come and help him. I really couldn`t help him, I had to go continue my job. I truly thought he was dune for, but no he gripped the grass and was coming near me. He was crying with terrible tears in his eyes and he was shaking uncontrollably. I felt such pity. Knowing he wasn’t useless I broth him to the infirmary.

I hurried back to give the food to the soldiers in the trenches, after I broth my friend to the infirmary.   When I gave the food I noticed that soldiers were very pale, skinny and weak. I think they don’t get food often because not a lot of men come over here to give food to these forceless soldiers. One of the men in the puttered trench was crying asking for me to bring with me. I thought about it but I just couldn’t. I left in a hurry to go see my buddy.

When I came back I went to see my pal in the infirmary. He was lying on a bed with a bunch of bandages on his legs. There was blood about everywhere on him. He told me that one of his legs is broken and another one of them was badly sprained. While he spoke he could barely breath, he had to catch his breath after every desperate word he said. He couldn’t move anymore and he looked very tired. I left so he could rest, hoping he would get better.

I wish the worst doesn’t come to me as it did for my ally; life is horrible info as it is.

Nathan Roberts

July 20

Every night I stumble to my feet and lye on my limited side of wall with a bit of relief to take a little time to breath and take a break. I’m always running all day breathlessly in the hot sun, and at night I get chilly and can’t sleep because of the load clamor of the cannons. I wish I could go back home and sleep comfortably in my little bed and rest threw one night without breaking into a cold sweat. Thinking that I almost saw death in the pitch black sky covered with sparkling stars.

Life will be better, I know it!

Nathan Roberts

9 Responses

1. Cass Online December 17, 2015 at 1:53 pm · Reply

Wow Nyha!You wrote an impeccable story! I am amazed with very creative title that you came up with. I loved the beginning of your story. you have so much vivid words. The first paragraph leaves you wanting to read more.
    You have an amazing story!
    Keep up the good work!

2. margret online December 17, 2015 at 2:10 pm · Reply

I totally agree with Cass you have terrific detail but how you mention he was unsure of helping relly jumpt out at me you are a very talented writer Nyha.

3. Mackenzie Online December 17, 2015 at 2:16 pm · Reply

Hey Nyah it`s Mackenzie Online! I love, love,love your story maybe the best one I have read all day! You put so much detail in it it almost feels like I am in the war! 🙂 The best part of the story in my opinion has to be Day 18. I think it is because that is where you really take action! The last paragraph is making me wish it was a book since I want more!
    Great job Nyah!
    Mackenzie Online
    http://mackenzieonlinep.edublogs.org/

4. robby online December 17, 2015 at 2:20 pm · Reply

The beginning of your story Is not that catchy but when your at the third sentence, the rich vocabulary catches me and with the The flavor of blood filled my mouth as all my muscle started to ache while I lied hopelessly on the brown forest floor. that’s the WOW of your story. You have a really,really really good story with a lot of creative writing.

5. Corey December 17, 2015 at 2:22 pm · Reply

MINDBLOWN!!!!! Your post had a lot of good detail and it used words I`ve never even heard of before, your hole post was alive and at least 2 to 3 parts were your strongest ones. I will finish my comment later GTG.

6. Geoff Online December 17, 2015 at 2:51 pm · Reply

Wow, just wow. I have been… uh..uh I don’t know what to say I don’t know how I feel its just.. just… too good for me the amazingness meter is of the chart and my mind I think has just blown like the bombs in the story.

My favorite part is July 6th with the animals, like good and bad and you being so helpless in the trench in really moved me.

7. kalika December 17, 2015 at 4:09 pm · Reply

Great job this story was great.
    Theyre was so much detail and you have alot of courage to write 5that it is so cool and scary.
    maybe one day you should write a book about war cause you would toatally win an award or shall I say awar . Anyway keep on the goud work .
    but I dont know if you realised but you forgot a word in the phrase ³ he asked me to take with me³ But it does not matter because youre story is really great.
    Just keep up the good work.:)

1. NyhaOnline December 17, 2015 at 8:36 pm · Reply

Well you are right I do wont to be an author, this is just the begging of my dream.

8. Hayley Online December 17, 2015 at 4:10 pm · Reply

You are a great writer, your details are magnificent I really felt like if I was Nathan Roberts. It shows that you really choose your words, at the beginning you just dragged me into your story. Keep working hard Nhya.